Monday, September 12, 2011

my new (and improved) host family

Here in Pan, I have a mom called Violet and a 9-year-old brother named Lebohan. I love them both already. Lebo is a typical kid, he loves cartoons and soccer, does well in school and works hard at his chores. Violet is in her mid-fifties, with above-average English skills and a super nice personality. Her husband, Michael, is in Joburg working. This family has taken me into their home and hearts. In fact, I have to explain that I need to do things on my own, be self-sufficient, like collecting my own water and cooking for myself. But I love them already. Violet gave me pink curtains and a yellow pee bucket, took me to town to buy kitchen supplies and insists on giving me tea or food every time I walk in her house.

We have a dog called Bobby, chickens and sheep. There are at least 3 brand new baby lambs that are adorable. Today my middle school Principal picked me up and introduced me to her whole school. I walked over to the primary school and met all the classes there too. Then David drove me to meet the police captain, the taxi drivers, some local tuck shops and the community library staff. Busy day. I'm waiting at home now for the guys who are supposed to be installing my security bars, but so far I've been waiting in vain. I'm trying not to be the flashy American with lots of stuff, but I've had my Kindle and computer out already. I'm assured that this is a safe village, but I'm acutely aware that I am different, I stick out. I'm pretty sure that when I travel I'll have a target painted on my back.

Random updates coming soon, and hopefully pictures. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment