Thursday, February 9, 2012

Frustrating Friday

Friday I was going home after school Grace, the Middle School Principal.  I dropped my bag off at her office and told some Grade 9 Learners that I’d be by later to read their journals.  I went to the Primary School and discovered I was being sent to Vryburg with the SGB to make up for them not going on Wednesday.  So 5 of us crowded into a small car and hit the road.
I was under the impression that we just had to drop off our book at the auditors, I would buy a couple of power cords for the computers in the staff room, and I’d be back with plenty of time to read journals.  Alas, it was not to be.  We spent an hour organizing the books at the auditors, the computer store didn’t have everything I needed, and then we had to go to the chemist, the butchers, the grocery store and two different banks.  South Africans walk slowly and are never in any kind of hurry, and everyone in the car also wanted to run their own errands.  I tried to tell the driver that Grace woouldn’t wait on me, she’s always in a hurry to get home Friday afternoons, but no one seemed to take me seriously.  I spent over an hour at the big bulk grocery store watching a cart as a couple men went back and forth across the store collecting food.  It was the first of the month, payday, and so many people were out it was nearly impossible to actually push the buggy through the store.  Did I mention I really don’t like crowds?
We finally finished all our errands, but a trip to town means a treat for lunch, and everyone was excited to eat at a restaurant.  I tried to push for KFC or something fast, but we had to go and sit down at this chicken place inside a gas station.  Classy, I know.  I just pointed to the first thing on the menu; everyone else poured over their 4 options for 20 minutes, and finally ordered.  Then we waited, cooks and cashiers are in no hurry here either, and it felt like forever.  By this time it’s after noon, it’s over an hour drive back to the village, and I believe Grace has left me.  I sent her AA a text complaining, and dug into my meal.
Some friend of the driver’s joined us for lunch, he’s a lawyer and was excited to be talking to an American.  He lives nearish my village and says he’ll take me out for lunch sometime.  I was just like “sure, come by the school and I’ll see you there.”  Not holding my breath for that one.
When South Africans eat, it’s the food first, and then the drink.  So you have to enjoy your meal, then sit back and slowly sip your cool drink (pop) before you can even think about moving on.  It was after 2 before we left Vryburg.  At 3:30 we arrived back in the village at the Primary School.  I tried not to be rude as I grabbed my computer cables and said my goodbyes.  I wanted to rush next door to the Middle School and see if there was anyone still around.
At the school gate I saw a girl walking with the bag I’d left that morning at the Principal’s office. Walking closer, I see she’s with my mom.  Mom is walking back from the clinic with Resego tied around her back and an umbrella protecting them both.  A couple of middle school girls have been recruited to carry her purse and my bag.  She tells me that the middle school is empty and locked up, and that a teacher saw her walking by and handed over my bag when he left school.  So I’ve definitely be left behind in my village. 
We walk home, Resego has an eye infection so he’s really subdued, and Lebo has friends over so I have the evening to sulk.  I watched a couple TV shows on my computer and tried to relax after my frustrating day.  Later that evening I talked to Grace and we decided that I should accompany the Middle School Learners  who will compete at the Sports Day tomorrow, where the Principal will meet me and I can go home with her afterwards.  At least the whole weekend wouldn’t be wasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment