Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hanging out with Americans

Technically Vryburg is my Shopping Town, but for Mpho and I, it's easier to get to Mafikeng, the capital of the North West Province.  Last week was only the second time I'd ever been there, but we met up for a very nice day.  We walked across the city, for me it was a reminder of where the Game Mall and other shopping centers are.  Mafikeng is phenomenally better than Vryburg, it's ashame that not more PCVs can get there with us.  We ate sushi and decided to go explore another mall that Mpho's former PCV told us about.  The walk was at least a three kilometers, partly across this narrow bridge that didn't leave much room for pedestrians.  We passed a stadium that hosted a couple of games from the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup and ended up in Mmabatho, another city.  The mall there was big, but obviously had seen better days.  Still, there was lots to see and several grocery stores.  We stocked up and prepared for a cookout at his place later, caught a local taxi to the rank in Mafikeng and waited.  It was the last taxi towards our villages and we were only harassed for money 4 or 5 times in the hour it took the taxi to fill.  The ride was eventful, lots of people talked to us, the taxi hit a bird, almost hit a schoolgirl, and avoided oncoming traffic in construction zones by weaving through cones and ditches.  I'd been BBMing with Dineo, Mpho's girlfriend, as she was trying to surprise him when he got back from shopping.  There was a slight misunderstanding and the taxi ended up blowing right by her as she was waiting outside Mpho's village, and she had to walk the 2k to his house.  Sorry, Dinny.

It's a hassle getting in and out of my village, but I love going to Mpho's place to hang out.  It's so amazing to be with other Americans, to speak at a normal pace and not have to explain everything all the time.  Mpho, Dineo and I played cards and had a good time together.  Mpho's a professional chef compared to me, and he made great tuna melts for lunch.  Tshiamo came in the afternoon and brought us snacks, fruit and cheese and crackers.  We had an amazing time, food and friends is really all it takes to make PCVs happy.  We played Balderdash for a couple of hours before I had to go.  The car back to my village had a little trouble, we never got above 40 kph and had to stop twice to pop the hood and let the men poke around.  But I made it home before dark.

A calm Sunday followed, with me doing some laundry and teaching Lebo how to play Uno.  He understands it well, but gets easily distracted and has to be reminded that it's hit turn to play.  I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to more Uno filled evenings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment