Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Applying to the Peace Corps

What do I want to be when I grow up? I know I want to travel the world, and I know I want to help people.  I like doing hands-on work and seeing the final product.  Mechanical Engineering is the most broad subject that UK offered, so I chose that to be as well-rounded as possible.  I especially like working with kids and people who want to learn and have a positive attitude.  So the only thing I can think of is to join the Peace Corps. :)

It's been a long application process, I started last May with the online application and essays.  There were lots of questions to answer and 3 or 4 recommendations to get from friends and employers.  I had a phone interview with a recruiter and then a lengthy medical review process.  I had to make appointments with a doctor at UK, with my dentist, have an eye exam, get records and shots at the health department and go to a clinic for blood work.  That's what makes the PC application so long.  I've had like 6 shots and given 8 vials of blood, had new glasses ordered, a physical, dental x-rays and so much more I can't even remember right now.  My favorite part was trying to explain to the health department that I needed a 4th hepatitis B shot (apparently 3 wasn't enough for me) and an adult polio shot.  I got a lot of questions about the polio because "no one in America NEEDS an adult polio shot."  But I'm not staying in America. ;)

So today I finally passed the medical review section, and a placement officer has my information.  I'm in the competitive part now, trying to land a job against other applicants.  So keep praying for me and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment