Thursday, October 27, 2011

The end of October

The biggest thing I'm adjusting to this month is the lack of Halloween.  Everyone is very confused when I try to ask about it, and the idea of wearing a costume is so foreign and absurd that I was accused of making the whole thing up.  My heart broke a little.  I'm going as Carmen Sandiego, and you, reader, can guess where in the world I am. :)

Last week I continued in my role as the AA of the Primary School by entering grades into the computer program to submit to the Department of Education.  We're already a week or so late, but the teachers are using the toytoy as an excuse for not having their work completed on time.  I proposed a “Teacher of the Month” award and “Student of the Month” Treasure Box to encourage everyone, it was received with praise but we'll see if anything actually gets put into action.  I've amazed everyone with my computer skills, with the fact that I type with more than 2 fingers and don't have to constantly look at where my fingers are.  David gave me a spreadsheet to make and told me to “work my magic.”  I got a hug when I put the school letterhead on the spreadsheet.  I'm going to become so egotistical with all the praise I get here, I'll have to take up soccer so my lack of skills and talent will keep me humble.

I refuse make copies for teachers, they don't much like me for that, but I just show them how to do it and tell them to be self-sufficient.  David knows he needs to get a new, real AA, and we've talked to one of the Kindergarten teachers about practicing computer skills with me after school so she can help out more.  

At the Middle School I would be helping the AA enter grades, except the teachers haven't turned in any from last term yet.  I fuss at them a little, and turn it into a motivational staff meeting.  Remember, South Africans are amazing at blocking out what they don't want to hear, so it turns into a discussion about what can “we” do to encourage learners to behave and do their homework.  We decide on an assembly and spend 3 hours lecturing the kids out in the sun about their risky sexual behavior.  Yeah, I'm confused by this train of thought too.  It's a heat wave, literally like 100 degrees F, and we're in the sun, at least 3 learners pass out and have to be carried into the offices to be refreshed.  I tried to spin my speech a little more positive and tell the kids that we educators are all here because we care and we're very willing to answer any questions they might have.  I stress the importance of education and how far it can take them.  I had to eat crow later when I couldn't help some learners with their homework and had to send them to the encyclopedias at the library.  Then I had to explain what an encyclopedia is and how to look up information in it. 

Finally, a few teachers turned in some grades from the 2.5 months of Term 3.  They have 2 assignments.  Two assignments were all the kids did in two and a half months, and all that will determine their grade.  I'm astonished, but the AA is so stressed about the deadline that he immediately starts to work.  I help, and since I can type so much faster, especially with the number pad, I did so and  emasculated him.  He was a little put off at me the first day but changed his mind when he realized how much faster this would get done.  He started showing off my speed to teachers as they handed in marks and said we'd have a typing race with Mavis Beacon after all the marks are entered.  We stayed about 2.5 hours after school today and are now waiting on teachers to submit their grades.

I dealt with the excitement of a mouse in my room over the weekend, I spent one night in the house only to get woken up by my mom at 5:30 in the morning.  I decided I had to face this mouse and fight for my room at 5:31am.  I put out poison, moved things around, and saw him run out under my door.  A rag stuffed in the door frame is the best solution I can come up with for now, my mom says we'll eventually replace my door, since it's supposed to be an interior door and my room opens up to the great outdoors.  I'm not holding my breath for that though. 

Before I waste any more time let me get to the most exciting part of my week – the Post Office!!  I'm using my Primary School's address and they go check the mail once a week.  I got one package from my sister of dry erase markers.  I was happy to get mail but confused because the schools here use chalk.  I also got 2 notices that I had packages that I needed to pay customs on at the Post Office.  On Tuesday the Middle School Principal, AA and I stopped to pick my things up and drop off 4 letters I've been carrying around for weeks.  I ended up with 7 giant envelopes of mail!!  I was a little embarrassed to be carrying around that many bubble envelopes, but so thrilled to get care packages!!  I carefully carried them home, at the gate Lebo and one of his little friends helped me carry them into my room.  I knew there'd be some school supplies so I opened the biggest envelope and gave them a coloring book as thanks.  I also found some laminated poster board to use with my dry erase markers.  I don't even have words to describe how happy I was, I was laughing to myself all night.  I took 2 markers and a poster into the house so Lebo and I could draw and practice math in the magic of dry erase.  My sister also sent me candy, spices, instant mashed potatoes, more school supplies, kids books, math teaching materials, a purple sunhat, beads and thread for friendship bracelets, and stuff to make balloon animals.  I want to wait for a special occasion to show Lebo those.  Thanks, Trina, I'll get pictures of his reaction to them. 

One of the packages was from my dear friend Dr. Skaggs, I think I've mentioned her before.  She and her kids had plastered the outside of the envelope with stickers and decorations, and stuffed it full of pencils, pens, kazoos, candy, a little Lego boat and calendar magnet for my fridge next year.   Thanks, Dr. Skaggs.

I'm feeling more enthusiastic every day that I can make a difference here, especially when the learners come up to me with questions and want to learn to use the computers.  Between the support I've got here and at home, the positive changes I know I can make here and the smiles of the children at school, I'm only too willing to get to work and prove myself an effective and passionate Peace Corps Volunteer. 

I just opened my Starbursts and discovered they have a slight garlic taste, which just makes me laugh all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment