Thursday, October 27, 2011

Every day is an Adventure!


This has become my mantra, something to help me laugh at the absurdities that I deal with on a daily basis in my family and my community. 

Last week was Spring Break, and I had a pretty low-key break.  I went shopping in a small local town one day all my myself, which was fun.  Another day I was able to drive with some educators to my official Shopping Town, Vryburg, and spend some time with fellow PCVs and do some shopping that the smaller town doesn't handle (like shampoo for white people hair).  I love seeing my adopted dad, he always calls out “Hi gorgeous!” when he sees me, and had me laughing all day, he's the funniest guy in the PC and one of my all time favorites.  So it was a great day.

I was told during the week that the Rural Development Committee (remember the toytoy guys?) were going to strike next week and block the roads to get the government's attention for our village's need of a tarred road.  The current “road” is a wide ribbon of fine sand, a few gravels and lots of donkey droppings that makes a car shake like a space ship leaving the Earth's atmosphere for 10 miles. 

Over the weekend I was assured that they wouldn't strike, and the schools would continue as normal Monday.  But wait, everyday is an adventure.

Monday started out normal, it wasn't until school was supposed to start that we realized all the teachers who live outside the village (about 75% of our educators) weren't at school yet.  The RDC Strikes!! They were stopping traffic on the main road into the village, preventing the educators' bus and private cars from coming to school.  So my Primary Principal is pretty upset that we don't have nearly enough teachers to handle all the kids and will have to dismiss early.  This disappointment was quickly overshadowed by the members of the RDC BREAKING INTO THE SCHOOL GROUNDS to try and convince teachers to join the strike and steal the tires that edged the playground to burn.  To the credit of our teachers, no one left, but the stress level doubled.  We fed the kids an early lunch and sent them home.  Since the roads are blocked and we have no deliveries we have no food for kids tomorrow, and had to cancel school UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Home early, I did laundry and tried to talk to everybody who I passed on the way to the tuck shop about the strikes and what they knew.  Everyone said “Don't worry, you are safe.  Stay home, you are safe.”  So I stayed home all week, and made everyday it's own adventure.

Tuesday I watched 3 seasons of Arrested Development and laughed all day.
Wednesday I tried to use logic on my family about how the dog didn't deserve to be BEATEN BLOODY for eating the fresh eggs when he never has before, but this brand new puppy still has shell around his mouth.  I was accused of just loving the dog too much to want to see him beaten and advised to go to my room to spare myself.  I'm anxious to see the next time some eggs get eaten while the dog is tied up on the other side of the yard.   
Thursday I made myself drink some instant coffee in an attempt to acclimate myself to it, since people here drinks tea and coffee like it's their job.  I've almost gotten used to most teas, and coffee was a pleasant surprise.  I know it's instant and by definition, terrible, but it wasn't as bad as tea.  I have to add a little sugar, but my 1 scoop is nothing compared to most locals' 3 scoops.  I was very happy with this adventure. 
Friday I spent texting with my sister is America trying to secretly diagnose what mental problem my little host brother here has.  We decided a mild form of autism and I should not interfere but keep my voice low and steady when he's beating himself in the head from frustration. 
Saturday was pretty great, I went to visit 2 other PCVS at a nearby village where we watched a Rugby game, grilled out and attempted to learn how to play Cribbage.  I feel older just for playing that.  Transportation was creative on my part, and I was glad to meet some lovely ladies who took one look at me “Are you the American Peace Corps Volunteer?” and told the cab driver exactly where I lived in my village, right down to the color of the roof and size of our sheep herd.  The funny thing is my host mom didn't recognize their names when I told her about it.  Another adventure in village life!
Today, Sunday, I did more laundry and have been lazy in my room all day.  I cleaned out my school bag and will at least go in the morning to see if the strikes continue and what new adventures the new day will have in store for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment