Thursday, October 27, 2011

Things you wouldn't be jealous of


A few people stateside have mentioned how jealous they are of my adventures.  I'm a little homesick today and thought I'd show you what you are NOT missing out on.

Things you wouldn't be jealous of

how slow EVERYTHING is. Whether it's deciding what to eat for dinner, getting to town, walking down the street, or writing their own name, South Africans move like molasses
the random animals who are always crossing the road
the potholes on the paved roads and the fishtailing as you fly down the dirt roads
all internet data bundles are VERY limited
pit latrines and pee buckets
random and unexplained illnesses, bug bites and sunburns
every TV screen has weird discoloration or distorted edges
the difference between American English and South African English – the cars have a bonnet and a boot, I send SMSs, apply for a job with a CV, use the pit latrine, it's “chips” not “fries” etc.
constantly reminding yourself to speak slowly and use easy words
needing to explain simple concepts to educated people
how many protests and strikes my village has already hosted since I've been here
missing voices of friends and family from home
14% sales tax
so much starch in every meal
handwashing everything!

I'm sure there's more to come in future posts, keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment