Sunday, November 13, 2011

The importance of education

I knew that I wouldn't be working with rocket scientists.  I knew that people here would be poor and poorly educated.  But I did expect some wisdom, maybe something primitive or passed down from generation to generation.  Something like the best ways to stay cool in the summer, natural treatment for injuries or something.  Instead I get these *pearls of wisdom.*

A fan in your room will cause you to develop the flu.
Put sugar in your pop/soda to dissolve the acid so you don't get the sugar diabetes.
Boil all your meat in saltwater before you bake or fry it.
Don't add any spices to your cooking meat, that'll give you high blood pressure.
Only fat people drink low fat milk.
Powdered medicine works better than pills, but only if mixed with hot water.  With cold water the medicine will just get stuck in your chest and not help you at all.
It's possible and common place for people to be allergic to injections, because of the needle.
Most people are allergic to canned food, so they take it out of the can before they eat it for safety.
Boiling your clothespins will make them stronger.
The only way to discipline a kid is to beat him.
Running (or just about any form of exercise) diminishes a woman's reproductive ability.  So will sitting on the ground or floor, so be sure to put a blanket or towel down to sit on.

By far, my favorite piece of advice was this: if you start eating eggs, cow tongue, oxtail or liver at too young an age you will get pregnant.  That's why teenage pregnancy rates areso high, girls are eating exactly what they wont to eat instead of what their moms and grannies tell them to eat.

This kinda stuff is what makes me value an good education. 

3 comments:

  1. Ya know, I always had a feeling that my clothespins could be tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (that was from Zac, btw - dunno why it made my name appear like that)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Genna. I will make sure to follow every single one of those rules for the rest of my life :)

    ReplyDelete