Sunday, January 15, 2012

The good and the bad: Vryburg

I’d been home less than 2 weeks, and I already needed a break.  So I decided to meet a few other PCVs in Vryburg on Friday, the 6th.  I made arrangements with a lady who I know from the Department of Education and who runs a B&B to stay the night and caught a bakkie to town.  It’s always a hassle to get out of my village, but I’d made arrangement for the bakkie driver to pick me up from my house.  He was *only* 45 minutes late. 
I’d been on vacation with 2 of the PCVs, and the 2 guys (my adopted dad Tshiamo and Mpho) had gone to the Drakensburg Mountains with another group, so we got to share stories.  Any time I’m walking around a city with paved sidewalks under foot and Americans at my side I feel like I’m on vacation again. 
In Vryburg I bought envelopes and mailed home some Christmas presents I’d bought on vacation, fingers crossed that both parcels arrive.  After my two awesome packages I can’t wait to hear what my friends and family think of their presents. I got a few random supplies I needed, like mixing bowls, and splurged on Nutella.  The girls went home early and the 2 guys walked me to my B&B.  Apparently I suck at reading map keys; we walked too far and had to double back.  But the place was gorgeous, beautiful grounds, a swimming pool and my own double bed and bathroom.  I bought some snacks for dinner and (after a gossip session) the guys left so I could settle in for the night.
My DoE contact and host came by to check on me, when I inquired about wireless internet to update my kindle she offered to drive me to her brother’s house to use his.  So I got to update my kindle, see the inside of an Afrikaner’s house and play with a little baby boy that evening.  Back at the B&B, I watched The American President, one of my all time favorite movies.  A hot shower and a comfortable bed were just what the doctor ordered. 
The next morning, I bought a few groceries and was at the taxi rank before 10am, ready to head back to my village, Pan.  At my bakkie, the driver let me put my stuff in the front seat so I could go buy a drink.  I stopped in a home goods store and got a pillow, so I walked back into the taxi rank with huge lightweight bag in one hand and a cool drink (pop or soda) in the other. 
I suddenly felt someone come up behind me and goose me, pinching/tickling my sides.  My first reaction is “this is someone I know” after all, who else would do something like that? But I turn and it’s a complete stranger, some youngish guy goofing off and telling me how much he loves me.  I told him to leave me alone, he said he wouldn’t, and came after me again.  I never stopped walking or screaming for him to leave me alone, shoved him back several times, and was ready to call for the police when a gogo (granny) stepped between us.  She started scolding him and gave me enough time to get safely back to my bakkie and the men there who take care of me.  They got me a seat in the shade and kept me company until we left town. 
I got to ride in the shotgun window seat, and I purposefully kept the window a little bit opened the entire ride.  (Everyone here hates the “strong wind” from open windows so even if it’s 100 degrees Fahrenheit they have no air conditioning and no open windows.)  I’m always the last one dropped off and my apples always get a little crushed in the bakkie.  Oh well, at least it’s only about an hour trip, some PCV’s are in taxis for 3 or 4 to get to town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment