Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lebo's 10th Birthday

My brother (nephew really, but he lives here full time and family relationships aren't well defined) Lebo turned 10 years old today.  He's been talking about it all week, so excited to have a cake and presents.  Just like any other kid, right? 

I'd told him that I had him a birthday present, and yesterday he saw me on my computer highlighting kids movies, I said he could watch one today as part of his present.  This morning he was gone to the tuck shop when I got up.  I passed mom and said something offhand, like “is Lebo having a friend over for his Birthday?” and she started this weird embarrassed-laughter.  She explained that she's forgotten his birthday was today.  She's his grandmother, and he's been living with her for like 4 years now.  Maybe Birthday's aren't as important here, but he's sure been making a big deal about it.

Several minutes later, mom must have been feeling bad (or noticed my shocked face) because she came to my room and justified herself.  She was tired from the Holidays still, it was so hot (about 101 degrees F today), she forgot to change the calendar.  She called Lebo's parents and found out that they'd bought him new school clothes for this year, she says they'll be his birthday present.  But it's too hot to bake a cake. 

Lebo comes back, bursts into my room and demands his birthday present.  I feel pretty bad for the kid so I ask if he wants to go get a friend to watch a movie with him.  He returns quickly with Thato, Resego wonders in, and they all start A Bug's Life.  At some point Thato wanders out and Lebo doesn't seem to mind.  Resego sees the 3 little matchbox cars I had tucked behind the computer and starts to play.  I explained that those were also Lebo's birthday present.  But Resego is still a crybaby and wailed every time Lebo or I tried to take them from him.  I was all for pushing through but Lebo said to forget it, he'd play with them later.  After the movie and a little conversation I had to push the boys out of the room so I could have lunch. 

Lebo tells me that his uncle Kenny is bringing him a cake from Delarey and he's very excited about it.  He then asked about those blue balloons.  I'm stumped.  I finally get him to explain that he saw my stash of balloon animal balloons and pump, but he doesn't know what it's for and says I told him I'd show him on his birthday.  I don't remember the last part, but I wasn't about to rummage through all my belongings to get to the balloons only to have him and Resego begging me for the rest of my stay for more.  Or telling their friends about it and them asking me at school.  That happened with the new ink pens, friendship bracelets and coloring books that my sister sent me and I don't want to repeat history. 

A little while later Lebo comes in to show me his birthday present, his new school clothes.  He's got new pants, shorts, shoes, three shirts and a jacket.  And three little metal cars from me.  Happy Birthday, Lebo!  He was disappointed that Kenny didn't bring him a cake, didn't know why and hadn't asked.   No one even sang Happy Birthday.

My first South African Birthday was great!  I got banana bread, homemade cakes from my crazy host-mom at the time, a card and lots of well wishes.  I had a movie party and a generally great time with people I'd barely known for a month.  This kid's own family forgot his 10th Birthday.  I am so humbled today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment